Dr. Tobias Wilson-Bates and Darien are joined by Nick Olcott and Andrew Adelsberger, director and one of the lead cast members, from The Emperor of Atlantis, an opera that was written inside a Nazi prison camp, and is now opening in Washington, D.C. They explore the idea, introduced in the opera, that the rise of mechanized killing machines has changed how we understand death, and in turn, how we live our lives.
- Show information for The Emperor of Atlantis, produced by The In Series can be found here.
- History of The Emperor of Atlantis
- Harvard Study about the impact of Hurricane Maria on death rates
- History of the personification of death
- Ray Kurzweil's focus on uploading his brain
- New York Times article about startups for end of life issues